Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 17:08:10 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using legacy sysinstall to upgrade live system

Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 1999 00:07:41 MST, "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
>
> > Nonetheless, for the expected installation experience one is
> > encouraged to boot the desired OS release's installation media and
> > select an upgrade instead of a new install.
>
> Gotcha.
>
> So you'd be interested in diffs that teach sysinstall to bleat if an
> Upgrade is requested for a release for which the instance of sysinstall
> was not designed?

Something like:

	+-- Doh! -----------------------------------------------+
	|							|
	|  You are trying to upgrade to FreeBSD 3.2 using a	|
	|  FreeBSD 2.0.5 installation program.  This is doomed	|
	|  to fail.  Please download the FreeBSD 3.2 install	|
	|  disk set, create install floppies, and run the 	|
	|  upgrade from the 3.2 installation program.		|
	|							|
	|  | Cancel |  | I feel lucky |				|
	|							|

would certainly be of value.  It's OK to let the users shoot their feet off,
but they may not know they're about to shoot their feet off.  Giving them
an alert would be polite.

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com