Date:      Thu, 15 May 2003 10:32:41 -0700
From:      "Ed" <ed@edslocomb.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perl version in -STABLE

> Also, it has been announced that a future release of the perl DBI
> extension will require at least perl 5.6.1.

And the current version of XML::Parser won't install under 5.005, and there
are probably more modules in CPAN that need perl>5.6, but don't check for
it.  And things are likely to get worse before they get better.

CPAN has, de facto, left 5.00x behind.

With that said, I didn't have any trouble running "use.perl port" once I
figured out what was going on.  My only question now is how I ought to go
about removing the system version, but it's not all that pressing.  If
upgrading RELENG-4 to perl 5.6.1 would be a lot of work, then just leave it
be, and add "use the ports version of perl" to the docs here and there.