Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 1999 17:23:09 EDT
From:      "gregory kinney" <mycotropic@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@Freebsd.org
Subject:   GOT it!!!

Dear all;

after much heartache, raising of my voice and copious valerian caplets;
it WORKS!!

We finished installing 3.2, from CD on an ancient IBM Aptiva, 486/66, 16
megs of ram, two 500 meg HDs and 2 3com 3c509 cards(one net is static IP and
the other is DHCP).

we did this to provide file sharing across 2 subnets that could otherwise
not see each other...in one LITTLE BITTY office.

Anyway, it now has Samba up and running and Apache serving serving a local
instruction page!

I had copious help from a Linux freak i know, but i feel really great and
about 1000 miles down the road towards understanding this stuff!

Thanks a LOT to this list(and various specific folks hearon) for providing
solice and precise help on a NUMBER of problems!

greg kinney

ps - what sort of security problems should i look out for by the way?
i know about the logs becoming TRUELY enormious(since i have destinct size
constraints - i chose to set up a cron to delete the apache and samba logs
at the end of each week) is that a logical thing to do - i figure i'd catch
problems as they arise, but i have never been a sysadmin before - am i full
of sh*t?

pps thanks again everyone!