Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 12:02:21 -0700
From:      "Joseph I. Davida" <jd@alumni.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Booting from 2nd drive

Hi.
	I have posed this question (problem, actually) to this group
	before.

	Recently I changed my motherboard from an Asus XP55T2P4 (it died),
	with an AIR P5TXI. And that is when the problems began.

	I have freeBSD 3.0 Snap installed on the main IDE drive's
	second partition, and on the SCSI drive. Both drives have
	the booter installed.

	After I turn on the machine, and bios goes through it's
	probes, the booter runs and reports:
	File boot.config not found

	and  then it gives me the option to enter F1 to boot
	DOS or F2 to boot FreeBSD or F5

	Entering F5 gives me options F1 to boot BSD or F5
	Pressing F1 to boot FreeBSD I get the scrolling message

	Error: D:0x81 C:0 H:0 S:0

	I get the same scrolling error if I select F2 from the
	first set of choices, and attempt to boot from
	1:sd(0,a)kernel

	The only way I can boot from the SCSI drive now is
	to go into bios and set my IDE drive type to NONE,
	and set the bios boot option to start with SCSI first.

	However, if I do this, FreeBSD cannot mount the IDE
	drive's dos partition, since bios will not detect the
	IDE drive.

	P.S: The scsi controller is Adaptec 2940-UW, which for some
	strange reason, reports the scsi drive connected to it as
	C: (even when the main IDE drive is enabled and detected by
	motherboard's bios).