Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 08:05:49 -0400
From:      Ira L Cooper <ira@MIT.EDU>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Maestro-2e, driver idea.

	I was reading the Maestro-2e specs, and I realized that by default
the chip is not in "Legacy Audio" mode.  I.E. it doesn't support the
soundblaster API.  But there is a flag you can set to make it do so.

	Has someone tried enabling this (and a few other flags) in the
driver, and then letting the sb driver pick up the board and do the
real work?  I think the neomagic driver on linux does a similar thing.

	Could someone give me the URL of the "mixer" driver for the maestro
so I can try to patch this?  The only problem is that I don't have a maestro
board yet. (I'm considering a laptop with one, but I want to clear this
problem up first.)  Also, if your a "real" sound driver hacker, please
feel free to beat me to the punch ;).

	If someone needs tech-docs I have the 2 and 2e tech-docs, for
purposes of this, the boards are the same. :) (I can probably put them
on a website if it'll help people write the driver. ;)

	-Ira