Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 22:38:58 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/share/mk bsd.man.mk

In message <19980429110229.A8210@freno.cs.tu-berlin.de> Wolfram Schneider writes:
: A non-recursive make should perform make -jN much better.

I don't buy much of what that paper says.  There are often times that
some files need to be compiled with some options, while others in the
tree need to be compiled with others.  A single, huge makefile, even
if it is disguised as lots of includes, makes it hard to say I want
these CFLAGS for this set of files, and those CFLAGS for that set of
files.  And it tends to force files to be uniquely named, which
experience has shown is a bad thing.

The paper does bring up several valid, good points.  However, I don't
think it supports its thesis very well.  It also ignores make depend
as a solution to the problems it describes.

Then again, I'm biased.  I've written makefiles and build systems for
six different projects now and I've been burned, in one way or
another, by all possible problems.  So far gmake and/or bmake suck
less than anything else I've used (with Imake sucking only a little
bit more than these two, but its learning curve is much steeper).

Warner