Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2000 17:43:48 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Chen Xu <xuc@mcbi-34.med.nyu.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install source from newer installation CD

Chen Xu <xuc@mcbi-34.med.nyu.edu> types:
> Dear All,
> I have 4.0 running. And I got 4.1.1 installation CDROM. I wanted to
> install the new source and then make world. Can anyone tell me what is
> the best way to do this? Can I simply run /stand/sysinstall to install
> the source or I should make install floppies from new CDROM and boot off
> the floppies and then install only source from there?

Ugh. There's not really a good way to do that. /stand/sysinstall might
do the trick for you, but I'd be leary of running the 4.1.1 sysinstall
on a 4.0 system, or letting the 4.0 sysinstall try and install the
source to 4.1.1 (though that is the most likely path).

However, there's no reason you can't do it "by hand", as it were. The
following should be close:

mount /cdrom
mkdir /usr/newsrc
cd /usr/newsrc
for dist in /cdrom/src/*.aa
  do
    dname=`basename $dist .aa`
    cat /cdrom/src/$dname.?? | tar xpzf -
  done

And it'll put the newq source tree in /usr/newsrc.

	<mike