Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 1997 13:09:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: r-cmds and DNS and /etc/host.conf

> As Thomas David Rivers wrote:
>
> >  Anyway - at one time, that was my fix... but now it's not.
> > My host file has:
> >

> > 127.0.0.1 localhost.dignus.com. localhost.dignus.com localhost
> > 10.0.0.1 ponds ponds.dignus.com  ponds.dignus.com.
> > 10.0.0.3 lakes lakes.dignus.com lakes.dignus.com.
>
> Didn't you say there's another domain involved (by resolv.conf, IIRC)?

 Yes, my /etc/resolv.conf claims the machine is in a different
domain (vnet.net).

 Could that be the problem?

[I would assert that /etc/resolv.conf should not be consolted, as
/etc/host.conf indicates you should look in /etc/hosts first, which
should resolve everything...]

> David, why don't you simply start a caching-only nameserver, redirect
> your resolv.conf(s) to it, and look at its debug output?  This will
> lead you *way quicker* to the solution about what names are being
> looked up than any of our guesswork here in the mailinglist.
>
> A caching-only nameserver is a matter of one minute:
>
> 	cd /etc/namedb
> 	sh make-localhost
> 	named -d 2 -b /etc/namedb/named.boot
>
> FreeBSD ships with a reasonable default named.boot for a caching-only
> server (which also has a bunch of comments for what to do to add a
> secondary).

 Ok - we'll do...

	- Dave Rivers -