Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2001 15:40:33 +0200
From:      Jens Trzaska <j_trzaska@gmx.net>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /dev/console and Serial Device Problems

Hello!

"Crist J. Clark" wrote:

> I just started having some really odd problems with a -STABLE I built
> this afternoon. /dev/console seems to be blocking when I use the
> serial port. I noticed since syslogd(8) did not seem to be working. I
> brought it up in debug and it would get caught on the first entry with
> /dev/console and just stick there,
>
>   # syslogd -ds -vv
>   sending on inet and/or inet6 socket
>   off & running....
>   init
>   cfline("*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console", f, "*", "*")
>   syslogd: /dev/console: Interrupted system call
>   logmsg: pri 53, flags 4, from blossom, msg syslogd: /dev/console: Interrupted system call

For me its nearly the same. 2 or 3 weeks ago i put '-Dh' into
boot.config to get the serial console working. It worked so far for
1 to 2 days. After that time I noticed that I was not able to su to
root. The probem was that su makes an entry throug syslogd and that
didn't react. And I was not able to get syslogd running without a
reboot. It also could not use /dev/console. Now I'm running again
without the serial console.
I read some older messages in the archives about nearly the same
problems. I think that needs to be corrected.

Regards Jens Trzaska