Date:      Sun, 03 Sep 2000 03:41:46 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why not XEmacs, after all?

Hi John,
just to be sure: you know the difference between the 4-Stable tree and the
4.0-Release?
4.0-Release is a single day in the evolution of FreeBSD. The evolution itself is
called 4-Stable. Within this evolution there was another single day, on which
the 4.1-Release was frozen. Releases are the frozen states of the Stable tree on
a special day.
This day is scheduled a long time in advance, so all involved guys will do their
best to have the system in proper shape on this special day. But shit happens:
On 4.1 I heard there was some broken floppy image, the lynx developers hadnīt
get rid of their bugs on the 4.0-Release day. Itīs a good thing to warn people
of possible security hazards, so on this special day there still was this
FORBIDDEN message in the ports tree of lynx.
In the following the lynx people fixed their stuff. You can either get the new
source or binaries directly from them, or use the FBSD way: cvsupping your ports
tree and do a "make install clean" there.
If you also want to have bugs removed and new features added for the system
itself, you will cvsup your system sources and do a "make
build/install/world/kernel". Then you suddenly left the static 4.0-Release and
are on the dynamic track called 4-Stable. By accident the FORBIDDEN status of
lynx has disappeared. This is todayīs "status quo".

 > > 4.0 is 4.0, it won't suddenly change.  Ever.  If you want to use ports,
> > cvsup the latest ports tree and you will get no such error.
>
> And this somehow makes lynx non-deprecated then?

Exactly.

> To be more precise, I
> wanted to use packages, failed, and had to settle with the installed
> ports tree: this also failed, so I got the tarball and am now using
> lynx.  It's not available "out of the box" in a major version release,
> this is a result of a policy decision,

NO, "being not available" is due to the fact that on this special day lynx was
buggy. A policy decision was to warn the people.

> therefore it may be said that it's
> deprecated until such a time as it can be proven that the policy no longer
> is in force: one datum is not enough proof in this case, otherwise one
> could say that MS-win 3.X was 32-bit, since win 3.11 had some 32-bit
> components, and there was a backported fix for win 3.1 called win32s.

The policy stayed the same, but the bugs disappeared. Obviously there was some
evolution in the Win3.x stuff, too.

> Not really: I EXPECTED lynx.  The reason I installed 4.0 is as proof to
> myself: you see, until last week, I was working on a woefully underpowered
> system and invested a rather large amount of emotional capital keeping it
> as updated as possible but consistently failed to install 4.0 (starting
> sometime about easter...) and keep it alive for an extended amount of
> time.  Last week, I got a new box (new for me...), so I immediately tried
> my nemisis: 4.0 (you DID ask twice now...).

You can install whatever you want, but donīt blame anybody for a bug of the
release day, if this was fixed afterwards and you would have had the opportunity
to get this bug fix in the meantime (by either installing 4.1, tracking 4-Stable
or cvsupping your ports tree and get a newer lynx).

> So is 4.0 frozen or dynamic?  Or are you not running 4.0 after the first
> cvs update?  If you can't get lynx in 4.0 (not 4.0 plus a couple of
> things), I still say it's deprecated until I see more than one release
> reversing the change.
See above. 4.0 is frozen, bug fixes are available via cvsup, which will
"undeprecate" some things again.

> When you are having a bad day, and it seems like everybody is trying to
> tick you off, remember that it takes 42 muscles to produce a frown, but
> only 4 muscles to  work the trigger of a good sniper rifle.

Should I use a rifle to solve my problem or be aware of other people using
rifles?
Iīm glad that BSD wasn`t developed in Texas :-) Wouldnīt like my CD-ROM to shoot
with disks on me on a bad day.

Regards
Siegbert