Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:31:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        "Timothy M. Hughes" <tim@usgcc.odu.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RealTek RTL 8129 PCI Fast Ethernet Card

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 17, 1998 at 08:04:15AM -0500, Timothy M. Hughes wrote:
> > Has anyone got one of these things to work yet??  I mailed
> > questions@freebsd.org and got a response that it was "probably" a
> > proprietary driver.  If you have a driver or have gotten it to work,
> > please email me directly (I dont subscibe).
>
> RealTek is fairly good at supporting free OSes (even sometimes writing
> drivers themselves).
>
> I don't think you should have a problem getting info from them, but it
> is probably correct that it is a properitary chip (probably with an
> almost complete clone of the interface of a popular chipset, so making
> drivers work should be easy).

Unlike the 8019/8029 (which are NE2000 clones), the 8129/8139 appear to
be their own design and not compatible with anything else.  However,
datasheets that look complete enough to write a driver are available on
their website (www.realtek.com.tw), and there also exists a Linux driver
to crib from (see http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/100mbs.html )

[Sorry if you see two copies of this - I think I killed the one with an
incorrect URL, but it may have escaped]