Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 1999 20:06:41 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fxtv 1.00 - up for grabs

Wilko Bulte:
 |Patch solves the build failure on my 3.2-STABLE (eh, now 3.3-RC ).
 |
 |But I have another very annoying problem: the picture is for 80% shifted
 |outside the window (to the left). As this is a Matrox Millenium II (PCI)
 |8Mb display I think it is a known issue. But isn't there any 'instant fix'
 |or maybe an autodetect of which display is used possible?
 |
 |Fxtv 0.48 had a patch available to fix this, which worked fine for me.

The same patch will probably apply cleanly to 1.00.  If not, just hand-hack
the one line.

As to autodetect, Fxtv can't cleanly determine which card you have anyway
(AFAIK).  And even if it could, I don't want to write in card-specific
hacks to the application.

I think the better route is (would have been) for everyone with a Millenium
II which uses Direct Video (DGA) to file a bug with XFree86.  It's possible
that not enough folks have filed for this to bubble up on their to-fix
list.

I say "would have been" because the 4.0 prereleases have significant
changes in this area and the rules change for everyone.  For example, DGA
works fine for me on 3.3.3.1, but 3.9.16's DGA doesn't return an address
"even close" to the linear frame buffer (ouch!).  When I get a few minutes,
I'll whip up a DGA test program for TV users to run to test out DGA for
their cards, so we can help the XFree86 folks get the DGA (and VidMode)
extensions squared away (via problem reports) before 4.0 hits.

Randall