Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2006 02:21:28 +0200
From:      Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new sk driver [was: nve timeout (and down) regression?]

On Monday 27 March 2006 23:48, JoaoBR wrote:
> On Monday 27 March 2006 15:51, Mark Linimon wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 12:15:55PM -0300, JoaoBR wrote:
> > > well, the actual driver is trash and unusable and overall crashes SMP
> > > systems ... so more testing to see if it crashes more?  ;)
> >
> > As with any other software development project, you have to draw a line
> > somewhere and say "these things will be in the release and these things
> > will not be in the release"; otherwise, you will never have a release at
> > all.
> >
> > I am not familiar with the code in this case but if its inclusion chang=
ed
> > enough other things in the system where _everything_ had to be re-tested
> > then it's not worth the regression.
> >
> > These are just the simple facts of (any) software development.
>
> well, ok that is completly understandable basicly
>
> but this driver is unusable since dec/jan for me, for others probably
> longer
>
> IMO it would make sense to be replaced by Pyuns driver because the origin=
al
> is not functional
>
> kind of strange getting a new release with a known not functional driver
>
> Jo=E3o

This is not quite true; I am running 2 systems with the sk driver. One of t=
hem=20
is a dual core athlon64, and it's network connection is indeed flawed unles=
s=20
I change debug.mpsafenet to 0. The other machine is a regular athlon64 and=
=20
has no problems at all. Both systems are running 6.1-PRERELEASE amd64.=20

With debug.mpsafenet=3D1, cvsup failes with "protocol error"s on the SMP bo=
x.=20
Also, I run several Half-Life: Counter-Strike servers on it and clients=20
occasionaly receive corrupted UDP packets which cause them to drop the=20
connection. However as soon as I changed debug.mpsafenet to 0, all problems=
=20
were gone.

So, maybe you should try changing debug.mpsafenet.
=46YI: the SMP box has an Asus A8V (agp) mobo, and the other box an Asus K8=
V SE.

Pieter de Goeje