Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2002 23:10:23 +0800
From:      Katinka Mills <katinka@magestower.com>
To:        "Wojciech Majewski" <wojtek@soft.lodz.pl>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re:RL80029 network card problems (was No Subject)

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 22:31, Wojciech Majewski wrote:
> I have problem when I installed freeBSD 4.6 RC2.
> I got Ethernet Realtek 80029.
> When I type in instruction
> ifconfig
> there is no ed0 interface!!!
> and when i type in instruction:
> ifconfig ed0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> the system answers me:
> interface ed0 does not exists.
> BUt when i boot system there is written:
> ed0 ............
> and I can see it in KDE / devices/  pci list as ed0
>
> Help me, please
> wojtek majewski

First off please put a subject, something like I have (without the bits in the
()  )

Ok

if it is a realtek card, yes you can run it in "NE2000" compatability mode,
but the proper way is to use the Realtek driver  "RL".

It is configured in the GENERIC kernel, so unless you have made a custom one,
just configure rl0.

If you have made a custom kernel, make sure the rl driver is still in it (from
memory this driver also needs the mii bus driver too)

Hope this helps,

Kat.