Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 22:55:41 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Transition from modem PPP to PPPoE

> while I'm not intimately familiar with PPPoE, it's obvious that
> it cannot use IP addresses for its underlying communication; it must use
> MAC addresses and have its own DLC mechanism. This suggests that its
> packets probably have a unique Ethertype. Does anyone know offhand what
> that type is, so that we can instruct the bridges to allow it through?
> (Currently, the bridges only allow TCP, UDP, ICMP, and ARP and block
> types such as IPX.)

Yes, it uses two different registered ethernet types (which I/UUNET
paid $5000 to the IEEE to get) and they are (from RFC-2516):

   The ETHER_TYPE is set to either 0x8863 (Discovery Stage) or 0x8864
   (PPP Session Stage).

See http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2516.txt for more details on the protocol, if
you care.

louie