Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 2002 12:38:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Newlin <jnewlin@tsoft.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   natd, ipfw, ipsec, upd  and ftp questions

Hi,

I have a setup like so:

                -----------
Internet <---> | natd/ipfw | <----> Internal private net 192.168.0.0
                -----------

I'm using a slightly modified Simple ipfw ruleset that comes with the 4.5 Release.

Questions:
  ftp does not work from the internal net, except in passive mode.  What is the magik
  required to make ftp work?

UPD Question:
  I play games that open up upd connections.  I want to open up the minimum number
  of UPD sockets.  Is the proper thing to do to allow incoming UPD on the
  portrange specified in:
   net.inet.ip.portrange.first: 1024
   net.inet.ip.portrange.last: 5000
  for udp
  something like:
   ipfw add allow udp from any 1024-5000 to any via ${oif}

  and any internal above 1024 to outside should be safe:
   ipfw add allow udp from any to any 1024-65535 via {$iif}

That look ok?  Or are there some stupid upd services that broadcast
above 1024, that I should be wary of?

IPSec question:
  I have an IPSec client on my internal Windows machine that I use to connect
  to my office.  I added the following ruleset:

   ipfw add allow esp from any to any
   ipfw add allow gre from any to any
   ipfw add allow ah  from any to any

Is this safe, or is there a way to tighten that up?

Thanks for your input,

-John