Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 95 9:21:00 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Binary compatibility with NetBSDk

>    It's not the only hole in the plan. Unwilling participants (in
> both camps) is a much bigger problem. Even if you were able to
> resolve all the problems with adopting someone elses libc, you'd
> still have the much more serious problems with the other libraries
> (starting with libkvm).
>    The _only_ solution to the problem is to incorporate whatever
> improvements are worth incorporating from the foreign libcs (be
> them NetBSD, BSDI, SysV, or whatever) and (for binary compatibility)
> provide a mechanism for segregating the foreign system's shared
> libraries.

I don't suppose that anyone else feels that this path leads inevitably
to yet another flavor of BSD, and that thus it is not "the _only_
solution" but is in fact far from a soloution.

Or that it amounts to a declaration of permanent partisanship, future
events notwithstanding.

Either compatability is a goal or it is not.  Novell has this terrible
problem in its projects where it insists on "superset of a standard",
which is to say, non-interoperable.  Their printing was just about to
go Palladium "with additions", and NDS (Novell Directory Services) is
X.500 "with extensions and with the heirarchy input order inverted",
which is to say non-interoperable.  This is the primrose path that BSD
appears to be pursuing.

Both camps had no problem turning X developement over to a single
entity.  Hell, much of the Novell X developement is owed to the
XFree86 project.  How is this any different?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.