Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 2021 20:04:35 +0200
From:      Christoph Brinkhaus <c.brinkhaus@t-online.de>
To:        "J. Altman" <freebsd@chthonixia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Exiting X: not so much....

Am Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 10:44:48AM -0400 schrieb J. Altman:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 10:36:04PM -1000, parv/freebsd wrote:

Hello Friends!

I have the same issue on one machine running FreeBSD-12.2-RELEASE with
i915. It makes no difference if I use i915kms.ko from /boot/modules
or from /boot/kernel. I have tried awesome, dwm and twm using startx.
When I exit the window manager the keyboard lights get off and do not
work anymore. The keyboard is an USB device.

> > After exiting X, I see a black screen too. I can type the commands
> > blindly or switch to another tty but cannot verify.
>
> I don't use a virtual box; but re-tried typing blind and it
> does not work. The keyboard has no effect.

The keyboard has no function here, too.
When I press the power button of the PC the system shuts down
properly. This seems to be a different configuration issue.

What I can do to leave X and drop into a console:
1. Either change to a different console by CRTL-ALT-F2 or so
and pkill xinit.
2. Open a X terminal and do pkill xinit.

> > During this time, ssh to the VM works as expected; no X11 process are
> > running at this point. I can restart the machine via shutdown (either
> > on console while blind, or when logged in via ssh).
>

> I can remain logged in over SSH via my LAN; and to my eye no stray
> processes are running. The display and keyboard on the desktop
> (please see my reply to Kevin Oberman) are not usable.
>
> Thank you for your reply, and best regards,
>
> J. Altman

I have expected to be a victim of my old hardware.
But this seems not to be the case. A different ancient laptop
with a radeon graphics card still works as expected.

Kind regards,
Christoph