Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 11:36:50 +0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        George Reid <greid@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Joshua Delong Thomas <jdt2101@ksu.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting a music cd (by accident) and then an automatic reboot

On Tuesday,  7 November 2000 at  0:26:01 +0000, George Reid wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Joshua Delong Thomas wrote:
>
>> While trying to play a couple of cds, I was figuring you had to mount the
>> cd.   I wasn't thinking, but anyway, when I tried to mount it, it gave me
>> a path error, and then the OS automatically rebooted.  Why the automatic
>> reboot when the mount failed?  Just a curious question
>>
>> -Josh
>
> I'm looking into this at the moment. Attempting to mount an audio CD
> causes a kernel panic; this is why your system automatically reboots.

This is stating the obvious.  The real issue is, why does the system
panic?  That shouldn't happen.

Of course, I can do this myself, as soon as I get access to an audio
CD.  But if you want the problem solved, please enter a problem report
and somebody should look at it.

On a more general note, if your system panics, this is a bug.  There
are ways to find out what happened; refer to the online handbook,
which tells you what to do.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.