Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 22:06:13 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        rob spellberg <emailrob@emailrob.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

rob spellberg <emailrob@emailrob.com> writes:
>> > (d) is problematic.
>> For you, maybe. I find, once I remove the consensual pressure to
>> conform, that it's rather impossible to violate your own internal
>> codes. Remember that you can't say anything about another's
>> violations, just your own.
> actually, [d] --is-- problematic.
> if one person's ICOC includes killing others and
>   others ICOC's insist that they not be killed by others, then
>   houston, we have a problem.

I think you misunderstand (d).

Your ICOC cannot insist actions from others by definition. It's an
internal code of conduct, for how -you- act.

If you've written "I shall not be killed by others" in your ICOC,
then you're bound to take a martial art, study combat, have umpteen
guns, etc. Or you could study Aikido.

> in my experience [ i'm 47 ],
>   most people are neither enlightened nor aware.

Granted.

> consider that there exists a large group of people
>   who put forth great effort, just to avoid having "a job".
> all utopias fail because, sooner or later,
>   somebody learns how to game the system.

The utopia I described starts with people who have no need to game the
system. It's pretty far advanced, I doubt our current system could
transition in less than 5000 years without some natural disaster
taking out most of the population of the planet.

>> Well. Let's see just how much your averagea 4K message will cost you
>> to store.
> the last post was 28k.

And rare to find a post that long. Look at the troll post sizes.

> oh, dave.
> the ad_hominem attack;
>   questioning your debating opponent's intelligence.

That's not an ad hominem attack. An ad hominem attack is something
like "Terry you ignorant slut". If you examine the context, you'll
get a better handle on it.

> you have just declared that, in your own mind,
>   you have already lost the argument.

But I'm not trying to win or lose...

> graffiti [ except in designated places ] --is-- vandalism.
> in addition, by your own admission,
>   it is sometimes a clear and present danger to public safety.

That doesn't mean it isn't artistic because it is illegal. Some of it
is beautiful.
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

A person was frighteningly ugly. Once he was asked how could
he go on living with such a terrible face. "Why should I be
unhappy?", answered the man. "I never see my own face; let
others worry."