Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 1996 04:32:36 +0000
From:      mark@linus.demon.co.uk (Mark Valentine)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jdli@linux.csie.nctu.edu.tw, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syscons driver

> From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
> Date: Thu 28 Dec, 1995
> Subject: Re: syscons driver

> > What gui toolkit - where - where - show me, maybe it could save me
> > writing some 1000's lines of code :) :)
>
> I'll go hunting around, but I believe it's another hack..  I looked
> at it about a year ago and went "Ewww.  This was designed by somebody
> who'd never seen a GUI before!"

Hmm...  I've been stashing away a copy of a library called D-Flat for a
year or so, waiting to get around to playing with it.

It isn't quite a GUI - it's a public domain implementation of IBM's SAA/CUA
interface for DOS (text mode).  Now, lots of people are familiar with that
user interface (;-), and the API looks like it won't be unfamiliar to many
application writers (Is the API part of IBM's SAA standards?  I dunno, I'm
just a unix weenie...).

My primary interest in this code is to make it run in an X window.  It would
obviously be very much at home on the console (though running it on a plain
tty would necessitate losing some of the nice touches of the interface, like
the sticky ALT key and text selection using SHIFT and cursor motions).

The code looks reasonable (its origins appear to be a DDJ programming series).
It's on your local Simtel mirror/CD as .../c/dflat386.zip (version 1.6).

		Mark.