Date:      Sun, 3 Nov 1996 15:20:11 +0600
From:      Tim Pierce <twpierce@midway.uchicago.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   vmstat output: does avm+fre=total?

I'm a little puzzled by the output of vmstat.  I have 8MB of core
and 16MB swap, so by my reckoning I have 24000 pages of virtual
memory at my disposal.  (Right?  Wrong?)

Running vmstat on a mostly idle system on a recent day gave me avm
counts ranging from 20,000 to 4,000, with the fre list staying
relatively constant at 700-800.  When the system is heavily
loaded, the avm count has gotten as high as 30,000.

What's the deal?  Shouldn't avm+fre approximately equal the total
amount of VM on the system?  Neither the man page nor the Nemeth
book has helped shed much light on this.  I'd appreciate any
pointers.

Thanks,
T.