Date:      02 Jan 1997 16:32:00 +0000
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        exidor@superior.net (Christopher Masto)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP Filtering to www.freebsd.org

exidor@superior.net (Christopher Masto) writes:

> > >Nate Williams wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > >So, have you stopped beating your wife yet?
> >
> > Jesus Nate, whats up with this kinda shit A) in a FreeBSD mailing list,
> > B) on an issue where the poster was correct, C) coming from a respected FreeBSD
> > person, D) on Christmas eve?
>
> I guess there are many people who aren't aware of this famous question.
> I doubt it was intended as an insult - rather it was to point out that the
> nature of the original question.  It really doesn't work in this case, but
> if you think he was seriously accusing Mr. Levy of being a wife-beater,
> you're mistaken.

I have in fact come across this before and it wasn't meant as an
insult in that case either but I think it's a very, very dangerous
comment to make in a public forum where most people are not aware of
what appears to be some regional US throwaway comment.

It would certainly be considered very offensive over here.

If someone wants to reply to me privately as to why this is a famous
question then I'd be glad to have my curiosity satisfied.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155