Date:      Sun, 09 Feb 2003 14:30:58 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Sean Chittenden <seanc@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        audit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: WARNS = 2, sbin/ping...

Sean Chittenden <seanc@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> Speaking of WARNS2, here's a patch that bumps ping(8) to WARNS2.  Once
> upon a tie it used to be WARNS5, but the patch has rotted some.  The
> biggie in this one was collisions with sin(3) and sockaddr_in variable
> sin.

That's a compiler bug (unless <math.h> is in scope).  The correct
solution is not to rename the variable, but to add -fno-builtin to
CFLAGS globally, and fix those parts of the tree that break due to
missing includes.  Who knows, we might even uncover libc bugs that
have been hitherto been masked by the compiler.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org