Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:17:26 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: time_t not to change size on x86

Nate Williams wrote:
> In Java, you can not construct uninitialized objects.  You can do call
> methods on objects, but these methods are 'static' methods, whose only
> purpose is to allow you call methods that don't require an object to
> work.
>
> A good example of this in Math.sin(), which doesn't require any object
> instantiated in order to perform the operation.
>
> If you have classes that are not fully initialized, then it's an
> implementation issue, which can be done just as easily (or badly) in C++
> as it can be done in Java.

You've just made my point for me.  8-).  The language is supposed
to be so much better than C++ because it protects you from the
errors you can make in C++...

> > I actually _like_ the GUI code; takes all kinds, I guess.  8-).
>
> Our latest foray into Win32 + MFC has shown that Java is actually
> *significantly* faster.  (We have two applications, the Java one, and
> the win32/MFC application.  The Java app runs circles around the win32
> app that implements the same functionality.  We dropped the Java
> development because it didn't have a 'Windows Look and Feel'.)

Yes, that's very annoying, particularly since Microsoft takes
great pains to publish style guides that, if followed, make
your application totally indistinguishable from any other
Microsoft application.  But of course, the marketing people
absolutely hate that... they want the UI that looks like a cell
phone on the screen, and which users can't use naturally by
transferring the training they've had to the new app...  8-).

-- Terry