Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:34:20 +0300
From:      "Andrew P." <infofarmer@mail.ru>
To:        Ben Washington-Yule <benwy_01@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Modem/ppp takes 3-4 attempts to connect (56kbps dialup)

Ben Washington-Yule wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> For no apparent reason when I type 'ppp -ddial xtra' the modem clicks
> on, starts dialing, disconnects for some reason, clicks off, starts the
> process again. It does this about 3-4 times before it connects if it
> even connects at all. I have tried to figure this one out myself, I've
> scanned the ppp log which made no sense to me (the only error I saw was
> 'No response from server'). What commands can I use to diagnose this?
> What does this problem sound like?
>
> Connection:
> 56kbps dialup, dynamic IPs, XTRA NZ.
>
> I can post my ppp.conf if you think it's needed. Cheers, Ben.

You might need to activate additional logging facilities in your
ppp.conf. I usually log Phase and IPCP, you might need LCP and some
other entries. Try All facility if you're desperate, but beware, as it
produces huge logs (can fill up your /var filesystem in no time). You
can select logging facilities by putting lines like 'set log Phase IPCP
LCP' in your default: or xtra: section.

Best wishes,
Andrew P.