Date:      Sun, 20 May 2001 18:07:35 -0700
From:      Eric Melville <eric@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   upgrading packages

Currently, upgrading packages is more painful than it should be. However,
it would not take much work to make things significantly more friendly -

1. pkg_add - when a package is installed, it should check for an older
             version of itself, and if the new version provides everything
             from the old one, update the associated +REQUIRED_BY files

2. pkg_delete - when a package is deleted, it should check for a newer
                version of itself, and files that overlap between both
                versions should not be deleted

Careful users can avoid the problems that these two changes fix, but
there's really no reason to not make life simple for everyone.

Comments? Takers? I'm a bit busy due to the finals that I've got looming on
the horizon, but I'll eventually get to it if no one else does.