Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 22:10:04 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's the deal with cc? *CRAP*

In article <199704222220.PAA27567@phaeton.artisoft.com>,
Terry Lambert  <terry@lambert.org> wrote:
> > > in it. See the cvsup manpage section on refuse files.
> >
> > Well, the man page is not bvery useful,

It's true, the section on the refuse files needs some fleshing out
and some examples.  But hey, given that you're the guy who can
churn out thousands of words a day here in these lists, why don't
you write something up and send it to me? ;-)

> > but I set the refuse pattern
> > and it worked (mostly).  You apparently *must* use a wildcard in the
> > pattern

I think that for the Attic, and only for the Attic, you have to
specify 2 patterns:

  */Attic
  */Attic/*

This is a bug, but it's a forgivable bug (says the bugger :-) once
you fully understand what's going on behind the scenes in order to
match up the living files with their Attic counterparts.  The Attic
is very special.

> > (real pain).

Gimme a break.

> > There are still some Attic files it graps, though...

If you use the above two patterns, I don't think it grabs any Attic
files at all.

> Well, it looks like it grabs all Attic directories under the main
> directory anyway.

What do you mean by "main directory?"  /home/ncvs?  There isn't an
Attic directory directly under /home/ncvs.  And any Attic
directories lower down will get culled by the patterns above.

But as has been pointed out, you really don't want to suppress the
Attic files.  They're just too essential to the proper working of
CVS.

> What a bunch of crap.  Why weren't these files
> actually *moved* instead of being placed in an Attic (bleah, CVS).

Moved to where?  "Cellar"?  "Cistern"?  "Outhouse"?  They have to be
kept around someplace.