Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 21:22:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        marc rassbach <marc@tandem.milestonerdl.com>
Cc:        pedro@qui.uc.pt, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Print Server Problem

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, marc rassbach wrote:

> I've beaten my head against this one in the past.  The below site helped
> me solve it.
>
> www.deja.com has had many posters to newsgroups asking about it over the
> years.  Always a good source to look for an answer to a question.
> (as this is not a FreeBSD issue per-say, hunting about for the words
> JetDirect and ex3 will get you the data you sought.)
>

> The other 2 ports are 9101 and 9102 on a direct telnet (as memory serves)
>
> So you need a print driver that can establish a telnet session to the box
> and push your data out to thoes ports.
>
> The solution I used in the past (and now) is LPRng.  You can find this in
> the extensive ports library.
>
> You could also just get the ifhp part of LPRng and use that.  The DOCS for
> LPRng go into this filter.
> (And I just looked because I didn't remember the telnet address)

Or just print to "remote printer" [RAW|TEXT][1|2|3].

i.e.:

:rm=hpjd3.yoursite.net:rp=RAW3:
Will print to the third parallel port in RAW mode.

And the 910[0|1|2] ports are not "telnet" ports.  They simply take raw
input and feed it to the parallel port.

I've used the stock printing services with the first method I
mentioned, and LPRng with both methods.  Both work just fine.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."