Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2006 22:11:28 -0400
From:      Amanda Babcock Furrow <alb@quandary.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   boot0: is booting from non-BIOS-recognized disk possible?

I have read the boot0cfg, disklabel (I have FreeBSD 4.9), and fdisk
manpages trying to figure out if boot0 can solve my problem.  I did
not find the answer there, or in http://www.freebsd.org/doc/faq/disks.html
or the freebsd-questions archives.

I would like to be able to boot from my Seagate ST3120814A, which is
not compatible with my BIOS (Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG, BIOS string
08/21/97-580VPX-VIA83669-2A5LD000C-00, VT 580VX MMX motherboard).
The BIOS, for which no update was ever issued, will hang during disk
detection unless I disable the Seagate by setting it to "None" in
the BIOS (as opposed to "Auto" and "User", which hang).  However,
once I boot FreeBSD from an older disk, the Seagate is detected as
/dev/ad3 and partitions from it can be mounted.

I understand that boot0 can be configured to boot from a second disk
using the -s 5 argument of boot0cfg.  However, the boot0cfg man page
does not go into great detail.  Can boot0 boot from a disk which is
disabled in BIOS but accessible from FreeBSD, or only from disks which
the BIOS is able to detect?

Thanks,
Amanda