Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 23:43:47 +0100 (BST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Ryan=20Baldwin?= <ryanb486@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Describing geometry of disk image file to FreeBsd

I'm trying to mount a ext2fs file system on the first
partition of a disk image file. The problem is that
when I use vnconfig to configure the image file as a
'virtual node/device?' I dont seem to be able to
describe the geometry. It seems that with NetBsd I
could say:

vnconfig vn0 ./theimage.img xxx/xxx/xxx/xxx

where 'xxx/xxx/xxx/xxx' would describe the geometry.
It seems that although on FreeBsd this causes no
errors the geometry I supply appears to be ignored
ignored( fdisk on vn0 reports incorrect values ).

I have spent the last couple of my evenings searching
for any explantation of how this is done under FreeBsd
but cant seem to find any clear explanation. The man
pages for NetBsd seem to be a lot clearer on this
particular subject.

Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.
	Ryan