Date:      Thu, 03 Jun 2004 19:02:25 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Scott Sharon <happygilmore99535@hotmail.com>
Cc:        yuko@mail.nbptt.zj.cn
Subject:   Re: About making my computer run FREE BSD as a router.

Scott Sharon wrote:

>   Hello,
>   I am fairly new to Unix based operating systems.

That's OK.  In the early 1970's, almost everyone in the world was
new to UNIX.  Now, a *few* people are good, maybe even real good,
but perhaps the world at large is still "fairly new" to it.  But then,
a lot of the world doesn't even have a computer yet, eh?

>   Still studying basic commands andunderstanding the "inner workings" of
>   Unix based OS's.
>   I am trying to make 1 of my computers into a router.

Not too hard.

>   I do not want to spend over 200.00 for a copy of 2k or 2k3 server from
>   Microsft.

I hear ya.

>   Also want a more stabe and secure OS in charge of my security (I.E.
>   Firewall, routing my DSL signal to 2 other computers, anti virus for
>   my small network.)
>   Just wondering, what would be the best Free BSD for my needs?

There is only one "FreeBSD".  There are other *BSD operating systems:
NetBSD and OpenBSD are "all in the family".  DragonflyBSD is a very
recent (split?/variant?) of FreeBSD.  AFAIK, all use the BSD license,
which makes them quite free, (as in "free beer").

Since you've posted to FreeBSD's "chat" list.  I guess the answer
would have to be: "FreeBSD is your best choice." ;-)

The handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook), Google,
and the mailing lists (together with their archives, *very
important*), are about all you should need.  Good luck!

>   Many Thanks, and continue the great work!!!
>   Scott Sharon

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.