Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2000 04:52:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gao Tu <gaotu@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to connect at home cable modem

Hi All

I am trying to connect my Freebsd3.3 machine to the
internet via athome cable modem. My kernal is a
generic one and I am using an Intel Pro10/100B
Ethernet card.
The card is detected as fxp0.

So, I went to the /stand/sysinstall and put all the
information in. Then reboot the machine and login in
again as root. I try to ping athome's gateway machine.
I can't....

I issue the following command:
ifconfig fxp0 my_machine_assigned_ip
ifconfig lo0 127.0.0.1
route add -net my_machine_assigned_ip
athome_gateway_ip

I was able to ping athome's gateway machine and their
DNS server. I tried to ping a machine outside athome
domain. I can get the machine's IP address right. But
no package was acknowledged.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Or have
simular experience to share? Do I need rebuild the
kernal? (I was hoping to test everything out before
build my own kernal). Did I miss any thing?

Thanks

gao