Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:05:32 -0600
From:      "Jay Austad" <austad@marketwatch.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Ghosting a Win98/FBSD hard disk

This works great.  I cloned 5 FreeBSD boxes using this method about a
month ago.  It clones the MBR and partition table also, so no need to
repartition or anything.  You just have to make sure you are cloning to
an identical disk, or a disk of a larger size. bs=2048k will speed
things up also.

I've also cloned several linux boxes over the network using the
following method:

Grab Toms Rootboot disk from http://www.toms.net.  Boot the source and
target machines with it and use ifconfig to get the network up.  On the
target machine, type "nc -l -p 3333 -n > /dev/sda".  On the source
machine, do "cat /dev/sda | nc -n <targetaddress> 3333".  This clones
everything including the MBR and partition table.  It will take awhile
though.  I think it took me about an hour for a 9GB drive.

Jay