Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2001 09:44:20 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "dennis" <dennis@magix.com.sg>
Cc:        "dsf sdf" <chitteeh@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIC Card

"dennis" writes:
> Hi,
>
> I read somewhere that a Intel 10/100 NIC helps reduced some processing of
> your CPU
> for Linux.
>
> I am not sure if this is true for FreeBSD.

I read somewhere the very same Intel 10/100 PCI NIC that works so
perfectly for FreeBSD absolutely stinks in Linux. But lets keep this
discussion to things we know first hand rather than hearsay.

The original question asked for an ISA NIC recommendation. If the
requestor would search the online archives at
http://www.freebsd.org/search/ he would find the Intel 10/100 ISA
card is not a sure thing. OTOH the PCI version is probably the best
supported FreeBSD NIC. Etherexpress Pro 10/100B.

The ISA bus is not as fast as 100baseTX ethernet, so 10/100 cards never
lived up to their promise on ISA.

For your ISA system I recommend (based on personal use) looking for a
card which claims to be "NE2000 Compatible". Favor one with jumpers
over one which is "jumperless". If its jumperless make sure it includes
the software to set its "jumpers" and recognize you will have to spend
some time in DOS to configure it.

For PCI systems, use the Intel 10/100. I have 6 installed in my machines
and all have always functioned perfectly in FreeBSD. Avoid the "server"
version with onboard CPU.

An NE2000 is not going to be the highest performing NIC you can purchase
but on ISA it will be the least trouble. Reasonable price for a new card
would be $10 to $20. Have given all mine away.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net