Date:      Sun, 11 Dec 2005 23:42:27 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <RacerX@makeworld.com>, <danial_thom@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   RE: Freebsd Theme Song

Good point.  Legally no entity can compel Danial to hide his real name
when he's making posts on his own time.  This business about his job
requiring it is pure bullcrap.  Get on the cisco-nsp mailing list,
there's plenty of Cisco developers who post from time to time
with real cisco.com e-mail addresses.  The only thing an employer
can demand is such posts if they refer to the employee position
at a company that the poster attach a disclaimer stating that it's
not an official corporate communication, etc. as well as the person
cannot disclose trade secrets.  (and no, under the law an employer
cannot claim that an employee simply talking about FreeBSD is
revealing a trade secret, the definition of that term is
fairly strict)  But an employer cannot demand an employee
must not identify his employer.  Only a government can do that to
a government employee such as military or cia or some such.

I choose to use the same name in cyberspace as IRL, for a number of
reasons, the primary one being I know that when it comes to brass
tacks, you can run but you cannot hide on the Internet.  Any
investigative
agency with police powers can get Danial's real name if they really
wanted to, and there's plenty of illegal ways to to it too.  I regard
people who hide behind aliases as rather inexperienced and immature
people, who have little understanding of how the Internet really works,
but the fact is that a lot of people do it, and it is not impossible to
develop some credibility with an alias.

>Next, IF you are as you claim to be - WHY are you not on the "team" or
>at least contributing code?

Chris, you cannot effect change by being part of the problem.  If
Danial truly thinks that the direction the core team is going with
FreeBSD is wrong, then why would he be contributing to the problem
by helping them?

>To insult one person for not seeing your point of view is a show of
>closed mindedness - to insult a whole list of users ... Well, I do think
>that speaks volumes about you - as a whole.

Well here's from my POV for what that's worth:

1) Why the hell is this discussion even taking place under a
thread titled "FreeBSD Theme Song"?

2) While the topic of this discussion is pertinent and interesting,
I have seen no repeatable and even somewhat authoratative test results
on all the systems in question.  Simply saying "I copied a 200MB file
across
FreeBSD in bridged mode" is not enough.  If Danial has seen problems
he needs to post a website that details the issues down to a complete
hardware workup and rundown on his network and test systems, and that
includes results from the managed switches that he's using.

3) You by contrast and others have also not posted a scrap of hard
data or results that contradicts Danial, testing that is repeatable
and such.

This entire thing would be easily solved by someone actually doing
the work to verify test results, rather than a bunch of opinions.
There's plenty of valid opinion-only topics out there, but this
isn't one.

Ted