Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 2002 14:04:40 +0100
From:      "Michael Radzewitz" <michael.radzewitz@freenet-ag.de>
Subject:   AW: Mysql problem

It looks like your mysql-server did'nt start up proberly.
After running the start-script check if the server is up:

ps aux | grep mysqld

Also have a look at the logfiles. You will find the
error log in the directory where your databases live:

normally this is: /var/db/mysql/hostname.err. Where
hostname is the name of your system.

When the server is not running, check the filepermissions
and owner. The directory above must be owned by the same
user under which the mysql-daemon is running.

When the server is up. Find the socket file and pass it
as an argument to the mysql-client.

mysql --host=3Dlocalhost --socket=3D/some/dir/mysql.sock

After the first startup there is no password for the user
root. You should change this.

michael