Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 15:17:22 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        Tim Kellers <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Cluster" administration software...

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 07:15:51PM +0100, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:

> Hello Tim,
>
> 30 Dec 2001, 19:10:39, you wrote:
>
> > If you are pushing addon programs across your network,though, you
> > would probably be syncing /usr/local/*.  It shouldn't hit any of
> > your password files that way.
>
> Well, I've been thinking about this option too, but found it to be a
> rather bad choice since it won't run the scripts that the packages
> eventually run on install/deinstall which means that you often endup
> with binaries/config file etc being somehow out of sync.
>
> No, I want to distribute packages ;-).

If I am understanding you correctly, you want to install packages/ports
on all machines but you do not want to use NFS to export /usr/local to
all machines.  I would suggest the clusterit port (ports/net/clusterit)
for this.

Since you are talking about installing packages you must have root
access on all of the machines so you will have to allow root logins via
sshd.  The clusterit suite can be configured to use ssh over rsh.  One
of the programs in clusterit is dsh which will execute commands on all
configured nodes.  So once you have everything set up you could do the
following: 'dsh cd /usr/ports/whatever && make install'.  This will
install the port on every configured machine.  You could also specify
subsets of machines on the dsh command line.

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj@charter.net