Date:      Fri, 01 Jul 2005 10:42:26 +0200
From:      Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de>
To:        dave <dmehler26@woh.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: copying data from external disk freezes with errors and halts system

dave wrote:
> Hello,
>     I've got a 5.4-RELEASE box with a usb2 connected hard disk. On this disk
> which is formatted ext2fs is about 8 gigs of data i want to copy over. I
> mount the disk readonly and issue
> cp -R
> well around the 1.2g mark i start getting
> cmd_errors cp -R
> in /var/log/messages and i have to kill the process. The specific command
> is:
> cd /mnt
> cp -R * /backup/data
> I then try it with tar
> tar -cf - | (cd /backup/data; tar -xf -)
> This gets up to about 5.4g then the errors start again. I thought about dump
> but am not sure if that can read ext2 filesystems.
> Thanks.
> Dave.

Hi Dave,

are you using the ehci driver in order to get USB2 support? According to
the manpage the driver is still unfinished and buggy. When i tried it
about a year ago, it repeatedly hung or crashed my machine. You could
try USB1, it's slow, but it works. Or use firewire, if your disks
supports it.

Regards,

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341