Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 15:13:34 +1000 (EST)
From:      Enno Davids <nconedd@www.dyn.national.com.au>
To:        erichz@superhero.org (Erich Zigler)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rsync for mirroring

| Now my issue is that using rsync -avz -e "ssh -l /path/to/identify" /path
| user@domain:/path
|
| Does not work. Using this line it still prompts for a password. I would rather
| not have to give joe user anymore access then he absolutley has to have. I
| would prefer to be able to run rsync as root just using joe user's identify
| files.

Try just using ssh -v to get the login with RSA auth (or whichever method
you're using) bit working. Then make rsync work over that transport.

Basically, this is an ssh config problem the way you're doing things. You
may need to change the way ssh is configured for your user ID of choice. We
do much the same thing here except we run as the transfer user (i.e. change
user id first and then invoke rsync/ssh to do the xfer).

Enno.