Date:      Mon, 4 May 1998 11:23:17 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/www/ijb - Imported sources

On Mon, 4 May 1998 sos@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

> > I'll say it again:  The ads are paying for the service.  If you drop
> > watching the ads, then you provide less payback to those that develop free
> > services, and thus less opportunity (and possibly less incentive).  If you
> > use this kind of software, you're asking for more services to go for
> > membership only.
>
> I'll say it again, THIS IS A FREE WORLD, and nobody can dictate that
> you should download the adds period. If that means that some of
> those "poor" suckers doing "free" websites have to close, well
> so be it, its not the end of the world, its a victory damn it!
>
> Its obvious that you must be affiliated with one of those companies
> doing this kind of business to have this attitude.

It is obvious that you must have some fantasy about a dream world where
everyone does everything for free and no one needs money.  Or perhaps you
are just dreaming about the "good old" days when the Internet wasn't
commercial.

The fact is that a significant number of sites that are supported using
ads today could not exist without the revenue generated.  The fact is that
they provide useful content to some people.

If the content isn't useful to you, just stop viewing the web pages.  No
need to whine about ads being "forced" on to you if you don't view the
pages.

If it is useful, then I'm not sure why you are thinking it would be a
victory to shut down the web site.

And I thought the "software wants to be free!  free!  no charge for
anything ever!" zealots were bad.

I don't see why you think you have a right to demand that people provide
content to you in the way you want, regardless of their wishes.  No one is
demanding you download the ads; no one is forcing you to visit the pages.
However, if you do use the content then it is quite rude to go out of your
way to bypass the mechanisms that allow that content to be provided to
you in the first place.

The end result of automated filtering of ads on a widespread basis will be
either forcing you to pay for each web site you visit (micropayment
schemes are being worked on and may prove practical) or the ads becoming
more annoying, more invasive, and much more difficult to filter.

What this all boils down to is you wanting something for nothing.