Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 13:19:06 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, picoBSD <small@FreeBSD.ORG>, Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Subject:   Re: Trinux (+ a proposal)

> Well, since kzip has been fubared by the ELF transition, do we have a
> suitable replacement anyway for the unpacking? Or am I thinking in the
> wrong unpacking terms?

You're thinking in the wrong unpacking terms - we don't want to
compress binaries since it makes their contents impossible to share.

> OK, dumb remark mayhaps, but what would be the benefit of using different
> scripting languages for every nook and cranny in the OS? I mean, we're
> using Forth in the new boot{loader|strapper|configuration} and then we are

It's not sufficient to the task.  Forth is a fine language for small
boot programs and such, but I wouldn't want to write complex UIs or
anything else in it.  And I would have been happy to use TCL in the
boot blocks instead if I'd had a couple of hundred K to play with
rather than just 20K or so. :)

> Jordan, you are referring to the shrink/grow abilities such as VxFS and JFS
> them have (JFS can only grow I thought)?

No, I'm just referring to a resizable MFS.  Don't get carried away. :)

> Sorry, RTLD? Real-Time LoaDer?

Run-time.  UTSL. :)

- Jordan