Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 12:55:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, dennis@etinc.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commerical applications (was: Development and validation

> >1)	Linux has ELF.
>
>    Linux often wishes they didn't.
>
> >2)	FreeBSD does not.
> >3)	ELF is desirable
>
>    ELF is a bloated abomination that has numerous architectural problems and
> is good at making things slower.

Begging the admirals pardon, sir... but isn't it true that most
commercial UNIX developement for SCO and Solaris platforms is now
ELF?  Compare and contrast the amount of developement for commercial
vs. "free UNIX" platforms.

And isn't it also true that most component-software for Intel (meaning
all of the ActiveX stuff) is also ELF, and could potentially be utilized
by an ELF-based system?

ELF is right for reasons other than "it's a fine implementation" (which
it isn't).

> >4)	Linux is doing something right that FreeBSD isn't.
>
>    Yeah, they are better at marketing than we are. They've also been around
> for two years longer than we have. All things considered, I think we're doing
> rather well.

They haven't been around for two years more... you are unfairly thowing
out the 386BSD efforts in order to get FreeBSD a more defensible place
on the lifecycle curve.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org