Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 19:05:45 -0700
From:      sabine225@home.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup is overkill for me

On Friday, October 12, 2001, at 05:54 PM, Philip Paeps wrote:

> It's not *that* difficult, is it?

It's horrendous.

I don't want CURRENT I want STABLE, STABLE sounds better. But all the
docs say no problem just say
tag=something_from_a_list_somewhere_that_no_one_seems_to_tell_you_where_it_is

Tell me is it, "RELENG_4" ?

AND docs say if you make any kind of a typo in this
tag=make_a_wild_guess it will delete all the files that don't match your
system. Nice.

Yea, it's probably not that tough, it just that the documentation blows.

YOU tell me this wasn't written by mutants:

Quote from:
"http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html#CVSUP-CONFIG-FILES"

"Which version(s) of them do you want?

With CVSup, you can receive virtually any version of the sources that
ever existed. That is possible because the cvsupd server works directly
from the CVS repository, which contains all of the versions. You specify
which one of them you want using the tag= and date= value fields.

Warning: Be very careful to specify any tag= fields correctly. Some tags
are valid only for certain collections of files. If you specify an
incorrect or misspelled tag, CVSup will delete files which you probably
do not want deleted. In particular, use only tag=. for the ports-*
collections.

The tag= field names a symbolic tag in the repository. There are two
kinds of tags, revision tags and branch tags. A revision tag refers to a
specific revision. Its meaning stays the same from day to day. A branch
tag, on the other hand, refers to the latest revision on a given line of
development, at any given time. Because a branch tag does not refer to a
specific revision, it may mean something different tomorrow than it
means today."

My Mac OS X politely says every Sunday afternoon, "We have an update of
xxx.app, would you like to install it now?" I say, "Yes, thank you."