Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 08:28:37 -0700
From:      Jerry Preeper <preeper@cts.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   searching files on server

I am running a web site that has about 18,000 files on it of which I am
guessing about 3,000 to 4,000 are probably web pages that some 150+
different people have worked on.  This week I'm switching service providers
and was wondering if there was an easy way to search all of the .htm, .html
and .shtml files on the server in a particular path for an IP address.  I
just want to make sure no-one used IP address links, which I know some
people did.

I know there are search engines I can install for searching, however, the
IP address is always going to be inside html tags.  I was wondering if
there was a way I could search using FreeBSD for an a particular string in
any document with a html extension and have it print a list of all those
documents.

Jerry Preeper