Date:      Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:29:23 -0500
From:      Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com>
To:        Tomas Quintero <tomasq@gmail.com>, Jonathan Arnold <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting up network

At 05:13 PM 3/31/2005, Tomas Quintero wrote:

>In short, no, the names do not matter for your internal home network.

I would just add that on your internal network you may literally use any
valid name. I have an office network and several of the boxes run apache,
providing me with a web development environment. But I have a self made
rule of not naming my websites anything which is legal on the WWW.

Because you can create your own yahoo.com on your network, but the problem
is that if you create thisnameisnotbeingused.com on your network, in the
future that site may exist but you'll only see your own internal version.

So my internal sites have domains like

yoyomaplayscello
raycharles
nosoup4you-next

and the like.

Marty

Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387
Search & Sort Easily: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml
Web Installed Formmail: http://face2interface.com/formINSTal