Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 07:12:58 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Kodak DC240 camera USB download utility

Hi,

A first alpha version of my picture download utility for the
Kodak DC240 camera is available, it's called ``oPhoto''.  It
has been tested with the following environment:

   - Kodak DC240
   - FreeBSD 4.0-19990726-CURRENT (i386)
   - Uni-processor (non-SMP) system
   - UHCI intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller

This utility will not work with non-Kodak cameras.  Don't even
try it.  It _might_ work with other Kodak cameras that have a
USB interface, e.g. the DC265.  However, I'm not able test that
(I only have a DC240).

Other FreeBSD versions:  I haven't tried any.  It might work
with older versions of 4.0-current or 3.2-stable (not tested!),
but it will most probably not work with anything older than
3.2-Release.  I haven't tested NetBSD, it might work, too.
And I have no idea if it works on any non-i386 platforms (e.g.
Alpha/AXP).  I guess it doesn't.

I've had some strange problems with an SMP box, but I'm not
sure if that's a driver bug or a hardware problem.  It didn't
even recognize the camera at all, and ``devlist'' reported
errors.

I've read somewhere that the current OHCI driver does not
support so-called bulk endpoints, which are used by the Kodak
DC240.  If that's true, only UHCI controllers will work for
now.

Here are the URLs:

   http://www.fromme.com/ophoto/
   http://dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de/~olli/ophoto/

The first URL is the "canonical" one, but there seem to be
network problems right now, so please use the second URL.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)