Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 23:58:21 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, jbryant@unix.tfs.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: merging win95 and nt filesystem changes into msdosfs

>>    In many cases, Terry's solutions to the problems that he is trying to
>> solve aren't the ones we want to adopt.
>> There are far more instances where Kirk McKusick and other people
>> in-the-know have objected to the direction that Terry wants to take
>> us than there are in favor.
>
>I've talked to Kirk about many of the changes since I've been in the
>Bay Area, and you are misquoting him here.

   I have neither quoted nor paraphrased Kirk or anyone else in my last
message.

>  He has agreed that
>a number of the layering issues I have been harping on since day one
>are, in fact, legitimate problems.

   Yes, and I agree as well about some issues. For instance, there is
agreement that VOP_UNLOCK should be handled entirely by the VOP_LOCK'er,
and not haphazardly by the lower levels depending on the phase of the
moon and other factors. Those of us who have looked at making this change
realize that this is riddled with potential problems, however, especially
when code such as ufs_rename has to be rewritten. I don't even trust
Kirk (the author) to do this, so why would I trust you?
   On the other hand, there is general disagreement on changing the
symantics of advisory locking.

>> Terry's unwillingness to carefully explain/justify the changes that
>> he proposes in a manor that reasonable kernel developers can
>> understand has further resulted in a serious lack of trust. For
>I'll be happy to explain anything you have questions about.

   This is inconsistent with what you have said in the past which was
escentially that you had neither the time nor the willingness to explain
the changes you were proposing and that we should just take it on
faith that what you want to do is good.

>occur.  The only rationale against these has been "we fear change,
>specifically in the form of divergence".  Now that that's blown
>out, so long as it's possible to revert such changes if they are seen
>to have a detrimental effect, I don't see why there's a problem.

   Backing out changes after some amount of time has gone by (and thus the
code has been modified by other people for other reasons) is not a trivial
undertaking.

-DG

David Greenman