Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 11:00:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/27707: Bogus make errors while executing pkg_version -v

The following reply was made to PR ports/27707; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To: Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, bmah@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 20:55:05 +0300

 On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 07:40:26PM +0200, Anton Berezin wrote:
 > On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 08:25:15PM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:
 >
 > > Most of these cases involve ports which were removed altogether or
 > > repo-copied into another category.
 > >
 > > I personally think that both these cases merit the user's attention -
 > > in the case of a removed port, the CVS log messages would show
 > > a possible reason - obsoleted by this-and-this, or removed for lack
 > > of attention and a bad security track, or something similar;
 > > in the case of a repo-copied port, it is highly in the admin's interest
 > > to either just change the origin line in /var/db/pkg/name/+CONTENTS,
 > > or rebuild the port, to make sure that subsequent pkg_version runs
 > > report correct version information.
 >
 > I agree, but how's that different from the current `unknown in index'
 > report for such packages?

 It is different for:
   1. repo-copied packages with the same version, which are *still*
      in the index with the same name, and
   2. packages deleted since the last index rebuild (which can take
      a while - after all, people do have things to do other than
      rebuild port indices every now and then :)

 Both of these will be 'fixed' as soon as the index is rebuilt, but
 still, I think a fast notification that something is wrong would
 be preferable.

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --