Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:47:26 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        chip@chocobo.cx
Cc:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>, kstewart@urx.com, Erich Zigler <erichz@superhero.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oh the rapture

In message <20000822114353.A32952@setzer.chocobo.cx> Chip Marshall writes:
: I would think that the point of rebooting is to test the new kernel
: before installing all the binaries that go with it. Just using
: 'shutdown now' to get to single user mode and doing the installworld
: before a reboot may leave you with a broken kernel, and going back to
: an older kernel may not work in the brave new world.

Yes.  There was a point in the upgrade sequence when you needed the
new kernel to run the binaries used to install the new binaries, but I
think that we save them off now so that isn't strictly necessary.

Warner